Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Workshops and Courses

CEL offers courses and workshops to students. Most of the courses are connected to co-op or to experiential learning, but you can learn about taking COOP 1000 for non-co-op students below. We offer both in person and online workshops through courses and directly. Read on to find out more.

Co-op 1000

Career Management (COOP 1000) prepares students for life-long career success. Students will complete a pre-assessment of their workplace skills, prepare a professional resume and cover letter, and will learn advanced interviewing techniques.

Course learning outcomes:

  • Identify and convey their unique professional skills and achievements
  • Develop effective resumes and cover letters
  • Prepare for successful industry specific interviews
  • Plan and prepare for a successful independent job search
  • Transition from school to the world of work, professional ethics and safety

Career Management (COOP 1000) is a one-time 13-week preparatory course for students enrolled in TRU Co-op programs that prepares students to be successful on a Co-op Work Term. Students that are not enrolled in an approved co-op program will benefit from the knowledge and skills gained through the course for their long term professional development and career planning.

Career Planning Workshops

We offer workshops on:

  • Career Planning
  • Resumes
  • Cover Letters
  • Networking
  • Interviews
  • Labour Market Information
  • Goal setting

For a list of our upcoming workshops go to the Events page.

International Student Orientation

International students are an important part of the TRU community and we understand the unique set of opportunities you face when exploring career options.

Career and Experiential Learning offers individual career coaching. Please contact us to make a free appointment.

Working in Canada

International Students in Canada may work on or off campus without a work permit if they meet the eligibility requirements of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Social Insurance Number

Anyone who works in Canada must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to legally be permitted to work and to have access to government programs and benefits. For more information on SIN cards, visit Service Canada. For more information on the code of practice, visit SIN Holders’ Responsibilities.

Search To Top