Share your Open Learning Story with us
Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Finance FAQ

If I paid for a course extension, can I apply the course toward my full-time course load?

If a course has been extended, the original date of registration is considered the course start date. The date the extension started is not considered a course start date. Therefore, the original registration date of the course must match your student loan start date. Also, a course with a paid extension is considered "unsuccessful" (the same as an F grade) for student loan purposes because the course was not completed in the original timeframe.

If I need financial aid, should I study full-time or part-time?

This primarily depends on whether you require financial aid for your housing, food and other basic living costs. Only funding for full-time students recognizes these costs. Where financial aid is needed only for course costs and sundry expenses, part-time aid is more attractive because you do not incur debt, and the pace of completion is more flexible.

Refer to Student Awards & Financial Support for more information.

What kind of financial assistance is available for Open Learning students?

Loans, grants and bursaries are available to full-time students and part-time students. Full-time funding covers both course costs and living costs, while part-time funding covers only course costs, miscellaneous allowances and childcare where applicable.

Refer to Student Awards & Financial Support for more information.

How do I apply for financial aid?

You may apply online for full-time government assistance by completing the StudentAid BC online application for full-time students. A Part-Time Student Assistance Application, encompassing both government and institutional assistance, can be downloaded from Student Awards & Financial Aid.

How many courses are required to qualify for full-time loans?

A 60% course load, or nine (9) credits (normally three courses) starting within the same four-month loan period is required to meet the minimum student loan requirements of a full-time course load.

How do I apply for a student loan with Open Learning?

The easiest and fastest way to apply for a student loan is to complete the StudentAid BC application online. You may also complete and submit a paper application, available from Student Awards & Financial Aid.

Open Learning students receive the same consideration as other students applying for assistance. The primary difference is that while Open Learning gives you 30 weeks (roughly seven months) to complete a standard 3-credit course, you must complete the coursework in 17 weeks (four months) to be considered full-time and qualify for student loans.

For student loan purposes, you may write final examinations in your last month of your period of study or the month following. For academic purposes, you may write your examinations after the four-month term but prior to the 30-week course end date.

How much financial aid can I receive for school costs and living costs?

For the school year, full-time students eligible for funding with StudentAid BC can receive up to $320 per week of study or $5,440 for a four-month term. Students with dependents can receive up to $510 per week of study or $8,670 per four-month term.

Eligible part-time students can receive funding with no fixed limit to cover all their educational costs (tuition, course fees and required textbooks), as well as an additional $170 per course for miscellaneous costs and funding for childcare if required.

Can I receive a refund if I cancel or withdraw from a course delivered by Open Learning?
Tuition Fee Refunds

If you submit your request to cancel your registration by the cancellation deadline, you will receive a 100% refund of tuition fees.

Course administration, technology and other non-tuition course fees are non-refundable.

Please refer to the Returning Course Materials policy for further information.

What is the fee to repeat an Open Learning course delivered by UVic?

To repeat an Open Learning course delivered by UVic, you must pay the full fees, less the cost of current textbooks you still have. Contact Open Learning Student Services for the exact fees.

How do I get my tuition and enrolment certificate (T2202)?
Search To Top