Open Learning Teaching Excellence Awards
Every year, Thompson Rivers University recognizes up to two people who represent the best qualities of our Open Learning Faculty Members.
Excellence Award for Open Learning Faculty Members must be Open Learning Faculty Members at TRU and have served as OLFMs for a minimum of five continuous years.
Award winners receive an engraved plaque plus a monetary award (maximum $2,000) towards professional development activities or materials of their choice related to their work as a TRU Open Learning Faculty Member.
Eligibility and Process
- Up to two (2) awards may be made each year.
- Only Open Learning Faculty Members in the Open Learning division of TRU are eligible to receive this award. Nominees must have served as Open Learning Faculty Members (OLFM) at TRU, which includes prior service at BC Open University, for five (5) continuous years.
- Nominations for this award must be signed by at least four nominators. Nominators may submit a nomination form signed only by themselves (these forms will be kept by TRU for twenty four months). Once four unique nominators have nominated a single OLFM, TRU will combine these nominations to form a completed nomination package. At least three of the nominators must be a current or previous student of the OLFM. Nominations must include written documentation from each of the nominators outlining specific reasons for the nomination. Nominees cannot nominate themselves.
- Nominations must include:
- A statement prepared by the Open Learning Faculty Member being nominated (the nominee) describing their philosophy for helping students be successful (500 words or less);
- A sampling of correspondence, feedback and emails between the students and OLFM;
- Student survey results, as provided by TRU.
- The Selection Committee for the Open Learning Teaching Excellence Award shall consist of:
- Winners from each of the three previous years (with no more than two winners from any one program area);
- Two Open Learning students;
- One University Senate member; and
- The TRU AVP Open Learning, who will chair the Committee.
Past recipients of a Teaching Excellence Award for Open Learning Faculty Members are not eligible for nomination for the next three years.
Pedagogy and Advancement
- Thoughtfully inject research (theirs and/or the scholarly work of others) by providing to all of their students a broad and accurate knowledge of the subject matter;
- Demonstrate and convey to their students an exceptional command of learning theory and theory-based practice;
Student Motivation and Mentoring
- Are fair, consistent, and realistic in their grading or evaluation of students while conveying a sense of accomplishment to students;
- Employ inspiring, innovative and effective strategies and methodologies across the instructional spectrum;
- Are gifted mentors and role-models who enjoy motivating and challenging all learners;
Commitment to Lifelong Learning
- Are empathetic guides in their courses, sensitive, respectful, and responsive to the diversity of their students;
- Motivate their students to achieve and maintain standards of excellence, sharing and cultivating widely among their students an enthusiasm for life-long learning.
Excellence in Reflective Practice
- Bring an inspiring curiosity toward the theory, technique, and practice of their discipline, cultivating creative inquiry and critical thinking on the part of their students;
- Inspire a passion for learning in their students and are as intrigued by the process of learning as they are the practice of teaching;
- Are reflective educators, recognizing that they are learners themselves, and solicit learner and peer feedback on their effectiveness as faculty members.
Questions of interpretation or application of this process or its procedures shall be referred to the President, whose decision shall be final.
If you know someone you believe meets these criteria, please fill out this form below to nominate them.
Nominations must be submitted by 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 9, 2024. Awards will be presented at the President's Annual Merit and Service award reception in April.