Search Student Services

First Aid

Self treatment, first aid, hospital — which one do I need?

Simple injuries such as paper cuts or slivers can be self treated but all other injuries should be treated by a First Aid Attendant. The goal of first aid is to get you back to work/class or prepare you to be sent to your doctor or the hospital.

TRU's first aid attendants can provide a wide variety of treatments such as bandaging of larger cuts, applying butterfly stitches to close larger wounds, and application of splints, slings and tensor bandages, to name a few. It is preferable to have employees treated by first aid for these types of minor injuries rather than have these same treatments provided at the hospital. Attendants will refer you for medical follow up if required.

In most cases, first aid should be called before deciding to travel to the hospital — however, if you believe there to be a serious medical emergency such as a heart attack, stroke, unresponsive person, deadly bleeding, etc., please call 911 and then call for first aid, as treatment or support can be started while awaiting the ambulance.